Dealing with gut troubles isn’t easy, especially if you have reoccurring Small Intestinal Bacterial Overgrowth. We’ve compiled a list of our favorite distraction techniques, ways to soothe, and hopefully relieve some of the discomfort.
- Make sure you’re taking the proper herbal antibiotics and medications from your prescribing naturopathic physician and not missing a dosage.
- Drink lots of water! Adding rosemary and lemon to your water can help aid in digestion.
- Avoid all alcohol, dairy, sugar, and high FODMAP foods. (And any other foods your body is sensitive or intolerant to.)
- Attend a deep-stretch yoga class. Focus on letting go of the discomfort and finding peace within your breath and the stretches.
- Speaking of yoga class, skip the heavy cardio and workout! Some simple stretches are just the right amount of physical activity to manage while going through any tummy pain.
- Eat whole, natural foods that are low FODMAP approved. Avoid processed, ready-made-meals and stick to food straight from the ground.
- Wear clothes that your body is comfortable in. Skip the jeans and tight work clothes. Find options that don’t push on your stomach and increase discomfort.
- Make bone broth and sip on it throughout the day. Bone broth has wonderful proven benefits including reducing inflammation, healing the gut, eases digestion, and aids in better sleep.
- Run a warm bubble bath and pour in lavender essential oils to calm your mind. Find a good book and read your worries away.
- And after a relaxing bath, get lots of sleep! Sleep works wonders for healing our bodies and minds.
Things you can control:
1. Your effort
2. What you think about
3. Your happiness
4. How open minded you are
5. How seriously you take life
6. Who you hang out with
7. How personally you take things
8. What you believe
9. Your priorities
10. How kind you are
11. What you eat
12. What you talk about
We’re sharing our top picks for simple and nutritional meals that won’t upset a SIBO-Friendly Diet.
- A grilled chicken breast with 1/2 cup steamed broccoli, topped with butter, salt, and pepper
- Mixed green salad with tomatoes, cucumber, 2 tablespoons of sunflower seeds, and aged Parmesan cheese, drizzled with garlic-infused olive oil
- 3/4 cup butternut squash noodles cooked with butter, salt, pepper, grated aged cheddar cheese, and crispy bacon bits
- Bacon-stuffed chicken breast with a side of kale salad
- Pan-fried pork chops with a side of green beans (approximately 10 green beans is low FODMAP approved)
- Homemade beef meatballs in a simple tomato sauce
- Shrimp cooked in garlic-infused olive oil over a bed of zucchini noodles, topped with aged Parmesan cheese
- Breakfast for dinner – cheesy eggs and bacon (make sure the cheese is aged)
- Baked salmon with steamed vegetables
- Homemade beef stew with chunks of tender beef, tomatoes, and grilled vegetables
Dr. Alison Vandekerkhove from A New Leaf Naturopathic Clinic🌿 covering the different types of testing for Small Intestinal Bacterial Overgrowth, also known as SIBO.
Bone broth is highly nutritious, protects our joints, can help reduce inflammation, heals the gut, is easy to digest, aids in better sleep, and can support weight loss. Drink up!
Top Reasons To Drink Bone Broth:
From Dr. Mercola (https://recipes.mercola.com/bone-broth-recipe.aspx)
- Helps heal and seal your gut, and promotes healthy digestion. The gelatin found in bone broth attracts and holds liquids, including digestive juices, thereby supporting proper digestion.
- Reduces joint pain and inflammation, courtesy of compounds extracted from the boiled down cartilage.
- Promotes strong, healthy bones. Bone broth contains high amounts of calcium, magnesium, and other nutrients that play an important role in healthy bone formation.
- Inhibits infection caused by cold and flu viruses, etc. A study published over a decade ago found that chicken soup indeed has medicinal qualities, significantly mitigating infection.
- Fights inflammation. Amino acids have anti-inflammatory effects. Some (Glycine) also have calming effects, which can help you sleep better.
- Promotes healthy hair and nail growth, thanks to the gelatin in the broth.